The Ghost Of Bill Hicks

Righteous howls at stupidity and mediocrity

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Closed Captioning For The Culturaly Impaired OR Why Don't You All Just F-F-Fade Away

Today, a friend and I were talking about the contributions our generation (I'm 24) have made to pop culture after he brought up the fact that he wanted to watch VH1's I Love The 90s. I, of course, spun into a fire and brimstone tinged rant about how stupid it was to wax nostalgic about the 90s (do we really need to reminisce about fucking 90210 already? Christ, wake me in about a decade), when he brought up a point even I had to concede: We produced Nirvana and Radiohead. Although I grow weary with the constant mythologizing of Kurt and the never-ending anniversaries and magazine covers, I do have to admit that even I'm not such a jaded music snob as to be soul-deaf to the beauty of Territorial Pissings. As for Radiohead, I've always maintained that they're the absolute best band still touring and making albums, or at least they were until the triumphant return of their sonic parents, the Pixies. So I'm willing to let The Real World and MTV in general's stinking up of the 90s slide, because Nevermind and OK Computer more than make up for House Of Style and Singled Out. However, great as those two albums are, they can't quite compensate for the fact that MTV probably would not have survived to the millennium if not for us, and I'm quite sure future generations will curse our names for it. Then again, they'll probably be too busy watching people sell their souls and dignity for the opportunity to eat horse testicles while receiving plastic surgery in order to deceive a gaggle of Playmates into believing they're Clay Aiken...Tuesdays on FOX!

3 Comments:

At July 24, 2004 at 12:48 PM, Blogger Judah said...

Truly one of the funniest blogs i have ever seen

you have more irony and wit in your headlines than most blogs have in their entire site

 
At July 25, 2004 at 9:52 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Thanks Judah. Tell your friends, and come back often. I'm going to try and post at least one thing a day, but if I get time, I'll do more.

 
At August 10, 2004 at 7:08 PM, Blogger Anntichrist S. Coulter said...

Jess, pumpkin, I hate to break it to you, but, um, no you didn't. When Nirvana came out on a major label, you were, what? TWELVE??? Sorry pumpkin, but you missed that boat. Same thing for Radiohead. I was working at my first radio station when "Creep" came out, and it still kicks ass to this day.

Your generation is to thank for those Simpson girls, Sharon Osbourne having a TV career, Bow Wow, makeover shows, Britney Spears, Kobe Bryant being an "idol", and yes, "American Idol." Thanks a ton. And don't forget Paris Hilton. Gack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home