The Ghost Of Bill Hicks

Righteous howls at stupidity and mediocrity

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Feelin' Kinda Letdown

Ok, let's treat this post like one big data dump, as I've got a lot of stuff I want to talk about, but most of it is too insubstantial to merit separate posts for every item, so I'll just lay them out like that Hollywood gossip reporter in The Onion:

ITEM: Patton Oswalt's new comedy CD,Feelin' Kinda Patton is sort of a bummer if you're a huge fan of his, and insanely hilarious if you're not. I'm of the former group, so it was just kind of "meh" for me, as he used a lot of material I've heard before on HBO and Comedy Central specials. And the biggest travesty? He didn't even rehash the Nick Nolte as Han Solo bit, which is probably one of the ten funniest things I've ever heard in my life. However, there are some good bits about Tivo, and some funny, nonsensical stuff about midgets, and I finally got to hear a bit he did about Black Angus commercials again in its uncensorsed entirety that I'd previously seen in a watered down, made for TV version when he was on Conan once. Anyway, on my patented Homeland Security Humorist Alert level, I give it a Mauve. What does that mean? I don't know.

ITEM: On the Mr. Show affiliated tip, David Cross also has a new comedy CD out entitled It's Not Funny. Actually, it's not so much new as it is over two months old, and its not so much a comedy CD as its David singing the songs of Leonard Cohen in a lilting falsetto, hence the title. No, that's also bullshit: It's very funny, though not quite as funny as his previous album, Shut Up You Fucking Baby!, which was the best comedy album since my namesake's Rant In E Minor, so cut the guy some slack. Also, David's Mr. Show Partner Bob Odenkirk posted this little gem a while back. While you're there, check out some of the other writing, you'll be glad you did. In other Mr. Show related bullshit, I saw Anchorman about a week ago and totally geeked out when I saw that Mr. Show alums Jay Johnston, Paul F. Tompkins, and Jerry Minor all had bit parts in the movie, as well as the Upright Citizen's Brigade's Ian Roberts. I haven't had a geek boner that big since I watched Wet Hot American Summer thirteen times in a row (I shit you not).

ITEM: After I see Bob Dylan in Lincoln in August and The Pixies in October, I will finally be able to die without many serious regrets.

ITEM: There's supposed to be Preacher movie in the works, and they've already fucked it up to holy hell by casting James Marsden as fucking Jesse Custer. That's right, pussy ass Cyclops from the mediocre X-Men films. Fuck, that fish-lipped halfwit Hayden Christensen would have been a better choice than the charisma deficient Marsden. All I can do is hope this movie dies a quick death in pre-production so that it can become a mini-series on HBO, which is the only form it can really faithfully be reproduced in. I try not to get too geeky about comic book adaptation, but I will not accept anything but perfection from any production of Preacher. They already broke my god damned heart with the brainless casting of a fucking Cigar Store Indian as one of the most charismatic characters in the history of comic books. What's next, Hollywood? That lump of shit Vin Diesel as Dream of the Endless?

Aaaaaand....I'm spent.

2 Comments:

At July 25, 2004 at 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Vin Diesel's defense, he plays Dungeons and Dragons.

 
At July 28, 2004 at 5:14 PM, Blogger Avedon said...

No no no no no! I want someone really hot to play Jesse! It's not fair!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home