The Ghost Of Bill Hicks

Righteous howls at stupidity and mediocrity

Friday, July 16, 2004

The Netflix Quandry

Ezra at http://www.pandagon.net doesn't like Netflix, which gives me yet another reason to disagree with him (I won't get into some of the more substantive stuff at the moment).  Personally, Netflix is manna from heaven for me, as I hate leaving the house unless forced to by an act of God, and being that I'm an aspiring film geek ne plus ultra, Netflix's catalog is fucking fantastic.
 
Without Netflix, I never would have discovered my love for cinema nouveau, and Godard in particular.  Plus, it allows me to indulge my elitist asshole film scholar side and my "They Live is the best movie ever!" side in equal measure.  Unfortunately, I had to downgrade my membership to 5 out at a time, and I've got a backlog of Babylon 5 DVDs to get through before I can get to actual movies again, but in the meantime, I'd love some recommendations.

1 Comments:

At July 18, 2004 at 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no great film afficionado, but I have a nephew who is and he turns me on to some decent pix. Recent recommendations that have panned out well;

Bubba Ho-Tep: Bruce Campbell's best performance ever.
I'm no fan of horror in general unless it is liberally sprinkled with humor, and of course Bruce's works have all been such. He tops them in this one as an aging Elvis battling and evil mummy.

Shaolin Soccer: Chinese kung-fu flick loaded with humor and charm. It's sub-titled and a few of them flash on the screen so fast they are barely readable but very enjoyable with some cool special effects.

Cane Toads-An Un-Natural History: A documentary covering the mis-begotten effort to control a beetle infestation in Australia by importing these toads. Informative and humorous if ultimately scary (you've seen the mouse plagues there?) And, of course, rabbits have long been a problem. All are good examples of the "Law of Unintended Consequences".

Enjoy!
pseudolus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home