The Ghost Of Bill Hicks

Righteous howls at stupidity and mediocrity

Friday, July 16, 2004

Once More Into The Job Market Goes I

So I'm finally settled in here in Hastings (more or less), and I found a job, but I'm insanely nervous about it.  I'm going to be a cook-trainee at a family owned restaurant here in town, and during the interview, the manager told me I'd have to taste the food I cook.  Now, I'm one of the pickiest fucking eaters on the planet, so this prospect fills me with a great deal of trepidation.  Luckily though, I'm sort of treating this thing as a temporary gig until I can find a better job, or finally get off my ass and work on some of the writing projects I've got brewing and get published.  I start Monday at 6 a.m., so I'll probably be posting obsessively for the rest of the weekend.  As much as I hate TV these days, I really do sort of miss cable.

2 Comments:

At July 18, 2004 at 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you have to do it. I made that mistake when I was a cook and made some of the worst Lobster Newberg ever concocted, because I wouldn't taste it. The sauce is colored with a l-i-t-t-l-e paprika, and because I thought the color was off a few times I kept adding more until it looked right. UGH! Got my ass chewed out good by my boss. Despite that, I was a very good cook and line manager, so I kept my job and eventually got the top position. Man, I loved those cooking jobs. It's probably what I would do again if I got rich enough to open my own place.

Good luck, and learn to taste everything. You may not make a meal of most of it, but then again you might discover some great new foods.

pseudolus

 
At July 19, 2004 at 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

suck it up.

Being a picky-eater is not a badge of honor - in fact quite the opposite - it means you've been babied and spoiled your whole life. Grow up. Be a man. Eat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home